Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Had we but world enough, and time..."*

I was thinking this morning about how hard it is to do all the things I need to do each day. My to-do list is often left unfinished, as everyday chores, like cooking and laundry and cleaning and running after children, take up most of my time, leaving little for the other things that really need to be done around here, like organizing and weeding out clothes that no longer fit and attempting to unpack more of the boxes I put in the basement when I moved here years ago. Fitting in writing time is sometimes an even bigger challenge, but it's an important one--and also the topic of today's 100 words:

As a writer and a mom, one of the things I struggle most with is finding the time to write. I stay at home with my two very young kids, something I wouldn't trade for anything. I do some writing early in the morning before they get up and some late at night after they're in their beds; however, in both cases, I'm pretty tired and often unfocused. But to paraphrase Tim Gunn on Project Runway, I make it work. I have to. If I have to sacrifice something--sleep--to follow my dream, that's what I'll do.

*Opening lines of "To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell

2 comments:

  1. I understand. That's why so little cleaning gets done. Writing/marketing/publishing is another full time job. I have to chose something to let go. Cleaning. Oh, I still pick up and do laundry and dishes. But I'm not proactive about it and only do major cleaning when someone's visiting. Thankfully, my husband does most of the cooking which helps a LOT. I hardly ever cook.

    I can't let anything else go - family, my workouts, reading, writing...publishing...

    So cleaning it is.

    You have to learn to let go of something, which is a lot harder than it sounds. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, April.

    ReplyDelete