Sunday, September 25, 2011

On ramen and memories

Today's 100 words:

I cooked Rice-A-Roni at the old, rust-colored stove in my first place. I was a poor graduate student, and rice was one of my staples--rice and ramen noodles and Carnation Instant Breakfast. Sometimes I would buy chicken, rolling it in mayonnaise, crackers, and spices, a recipe I can no longer remember and cringe to think of now, but back then I enjoyed it. It was strange and exhilarating to be on my own in that tiny wood-paneled A-frame house, scene of so many firsts, keeper of so many memories, blissful and painful at once.

2 comments:

  1. This one really brought some great memories up for me. I think all poor college students went through the ramen noodle diet. Meat was an expensive luxury! Really great post today, Dana.

    ReplyDelete