Thursday, July 7, 2011

Choose your own life

Today's 100 words:

I often think about how things would be different had I chosen another path. Every decision I've made thus far--including the seemingly insignificant ones--has brought me to where I am today. Even something as innocuous as what I chose to eat one day in the college cafeteria may have had a major impact on my life. If I had stood in the pizza line instead of at the salad bar, would I have met somebody who would factor into my life forever--a life-long friend, business associate, spouse? It's the little decisions that make up a life.

3 comments:

  1. So, so very true. A friend emailed me some similar thoughts Wednesday, which had me thinking about applications of that truth. Most recently, the fact all the books I wanted to check out were gone led me to pick up a random, funny-titled book and check it out. This led me to read the author's other books, which led me to finally have the incentive to share the full story of my mother's mental illness--and not only find some peace, but help move a couple of others closer to it. Almost every day for the last month, I've remembered the moment my eyes landed on that book and gone, "What would have happened if I went to my branch library the way I always do? If I'd ignored the book because I was still so sensitive about my mom's death? If I'd stopped reading it because it was written in verse?" So many little details that lead us to where we're sitting right now. It's mind-boggling, and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's kind of mind-boggling to think about! Wouldn't change anything so far, though. In modern America we probably have more freedom than anyone ever has to choose the courses of our life - something to be grateful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, it is amazing the way so many things happen like that. The what-ifs are endless, aren't they?

    Ranae, I completely agree! Thanks for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete