Sunday, June 26, 2011

Novel update

Tonight I only have time for a quick update on my WIP. My husband worked all weekend, leaving me with the kids, and as anyone who's a stay-at-home or single parent can attest, being with the kids all week long and then having no help on the weekend makes for two long, very tiring days. I think I'll actually have to do something unprecedented tonight: go to bed early.

Anyway, I'm still in the planning stages of my novel, but the work is going well. Right now I'm doing research and outlining the story's major events, after which I'll go back and fill in some of the individual scenes. I wasn't sure in the beginning if I was going to outline this story or not, but I'm glad I decided to take the time to do so. I feel more confident knowing where the story needs to go. However, I also know that I need to leave room for my talkative protagonist to tell me as I'm writing if he intends to take another path.

He's crafty that way!

3 comments:

  1. I think outlining is always a good idea, although I've sometimes struggled with it. My current WIP has an outline, but bit by bit the story is straying from what I had planned...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm an anti-pantster. i need an outline, but the story doesnt always follow it. thats the fun part =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Scott and Tara. I agree: outlines provide structure, but when the characters start to take over and guide the story--well, that's what makes writing so fun!

    ReplyDelete