Sunday, June 5, 2011

Little Miss Contrary

This morning's 100 words:

Sometimes as a kid I would get into moods where, whatever someone said to me, I would insist on the opposite. For example, if my mom wanted to read me a book, I would demand to play outside, even if all I really wanted was for her to read to me. Whenever I behaved like that--contrary to everyone else--my dad said I was just acting ornery to act ornery. In other words, I did it not because I felt that way but because I just chose to act that way.

I choose ornery today.


For the record, the ornery didn't last much longer than it took me to write those words. When I woke up this morning, I knew that today was going to be one of those rush, rush, rush kinds of days, and, dreading it before it even began, for a brief time I channeled my younger, immature self: Little Miss Contrary. My apologies to my husband.

Aren't the words that come from stream-of-consciousness writing wonderful--and wonderfully embarrassing--sometimes? :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dana,

    Congrats, I've awarded you not 1 but 2 blog awards! Stop by my blog to pick up your awards!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete