Thursday, June 23, 2011

Embracing the moments

I wake up each morning with the best of intentions. I'll work on my novel before the kids get up, I'll say to myself. And I'll clean the kitchen and sweep the downstairs rooms and call my sister, too. But these are just lies, apparently, because I undoubtedly finish only one or two tasks, sometimes ones that aren't even on my "Good Intentions" list. Today, however, my goal is to forget everything but writing. Dirty dishes and laundry be damned. This morning, I'm going to do what I love to do: I'm going to write.

I wrote this exercise early this morning, and I'm happy to say that I did write, although I had a hard time ignoring the dirty dishes waiting for me in the sink. (Lucky for me, they were still there when I finished writing...) I didn't do much work on my WIP for the rest of the day, however, as I instead ended up doing bits and pieces of other things around the house, accomplishing a lot but nothing that would really be noticeable to anyone else (i.e. my husband). But this morning's writing session was peaceful and productive, and I hope to make early-morning work on my novel more of a habit on the days when the kids sleep in and the laundry pile graciously declines to beckon to me.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd call that "lucky." :D

    Good luck developing the habit! I've taken a break from writing in June, but I'm going to sit down and write for 15-20 minutes at least each morning starting in July. I may delay writing in Elelu, though; I'm getting more question's about TMD's sequel, which I should just dive into editing already. Seven years of stalling is long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb. Good luck with your morning writing sessions as well! The hardest part is establishing the habit. :)

    ReplyDelete