Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Series regular? Not a chance.

On another site, I wrote recently about the fact that as a mom, I feel like I'm no longer the star of my own life. Since I had children, I've worked mainly behind the scenes, most often putting my kids and husband first and myself and my interests second. All moms (and probably most dads as well) know how this is: before kids, when we wanted to do something spontaneous, like see a movie or drive off to another city and spend the night in some hotel, we could. It was easier making time for our own interests and pursuits, as we had no one to answer to but ourselves (and maybe our spouses). Now, however, it's impossible to be spontaneous or to even plan alone time without checking our children's schedules and scrambling to find a reliable babysitter. Things change once the baby comes home--there's no doubt about that.

So I've stopped being the star. This isn't The Dana Show, and I'm no longer a series regular. Does this bother me? I'd be dishonest if I said that it didn't, at least sometimes. Being a mom means being unselfish with our time--but of course that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to find a little time for ourselves too.

No comments:

Post a Comment